The second challenge was to find out what we wanted to do for the event. A few ideas:
- Parkour map, winners are whoever reaches the end first. Simple, but extremely difficult to do as it requires good hardware and good connection, both things that are uncertain to us.
- Speed UHC is when you have UHC but players are buffed to speed up the game. Considering that we will have 100 players, and a day to finish the entire event, we felt it wasn’t realistic to host any sort of UHC.
- Fun mini games like Spleef and TNT Run. Really old classics here. But we felt that these sorts of mini games are best for lobbies, and not for an entire tournament. We wanted some big one time thing to determine a winner, and It had to be a fun experience for everyone till the very end. We didn’t like the idea of players “randomly unluckily” falling and then having to wait for the entire match to end, so we scrapped it.
- Build battle. This one we’re undecided on. It’s an excellent event, though slightly worrisome considering what some people might build in the build battle, and accessibility and “for everyone” was important for this event. If you plant to host a build battle yourself, really consider whether you want a closed ’here is you space arena" or whether you want to regenerate terrain and let players claim cool pieces of land.
All these ideas were pretty good, but we settled for one big thing: a hunger games. A Hunger Games or Survival Games has no block breaking, is decently long but not too long, and carries many elements of exploration and fair skill which we liked. So we decided to focus on this one mode first and do the rest if we have time.
If you wanted to decide on what minigame(s) you want to run if you were to make an event like this, here are some things to consider:
- How will the winners be decided? Will there be winners?
- How long will the event take? What will be the order of events?
- How powerful is your server? What minigames are reasonable for it?
- How many players will you have joining, and how big is your team?
- What is the purpose and theme of the event? Is the game in line with this?
- Are the tools to hold such an event easily available? Is it customisable to your needs?